Friday 30 September 2011

LOVE Actually IS…

photo credits: DeviantArt


What is Love?
probably, it is the most common question I often heard being asked. What is Love? What is it really?

I wanted to get its definition from various sources, but first lemme give you what I thought about love.


When you ask a child, what is love; they could give you innocent answersinnocent but humbling answers. But when I was a child, I thought love is something you get from family. Simple stuffs like when my papa would serve me my food on mealtimes or bring us pasalubong when he arrives home, or when mama would wake me up in the morning and accompany me at school, or when my lola would cook a delicious meal for us, or when my aunt would clean us up in the afternoon after an entire days playits about caring. When I was a child, when people care for each other, I believe they love each other.


When I was in high schooladolescent years, I believed that love is when you found someone and have special, if not intimate, relationship with them. Even as a freshman, whenever I see those couples in the higher years holding hands while walking, talking, sitting, eatingI believe they are together because there is love. The sense of belongingnessthe concept of love I learned to believe from those couples lingering in our campus. That sense that somehow your hands fit into someone elses and they kinda felt as onethat somehow, you belong in someone elses lifeand that felt special in a way.


When I met my girlfriends in high school, a newand betterconcept of love was build: Friendship. The joy and value of camaraderie with genuine laughter, honesty and sincerity in a crowd of once been called strangers, has given me a new definition of love. That love is something that is established through timeit cannot be found overnight. It is something that can be polished through the test of time. Its when people stick with each other through thick and thin, and accepts you for who you are­and most importantlyfor whom youre not.


I was also in high school when I met my God. I mean, Ive known Him ever since I was a child, for I go to church on Sundays with my family. But this time, Ive known Him much deeper. Its like the first time you were introduced to someone you get to know his name, but then as days go by you get to know the person behind that namesomething like that. The Love of Godis my best definition of love, because God Himself is Loveand my Friendship with Him is the best thing I ever got from high school. More than the learning, fun, memories, and more friendships, its being friends with God is the best achievement I have in my adolescent years, and proud to say that its something thats gonna last beyond this lifetimethe Love of God: its for eternity, its boundless, selfless, unconditional, most pure, most precious.


When I was a sophomore at college, our speech professor asked us to describe the color red to a congenitally blind person. Usually, the color red symbolizes love, but I didnt include it in my definition of the color red. For me, red is a color of passion, of strength, bravery, and warmth. Love, on the other hand, is the color of whiteof purity, gentleness, and fidelity.


Whenever I watch movies, I get to learn more definitions of love. That love is something we go searching for. Its like a quest for some people. Like a chase in search for their happinessyes, thats it: love for most, if not all people equates to happiness. The thing is, everyone believe that it can only be found on someone else, or something else. Love is lost for some people, and they go for a pursuitLove: its like a treasure crest in the middle of the cosmic sea: it is difficult to be found, but sure is worth the quest in the end. And sometimes, it could surprise us when we found out that the one thing weve been searching for is actually right there inside us.


Love is companionship. Whenever I see old-aged couple in the church, or in the restaurants, or simply along the streets walking side by side and sometimes holding each others handsit melts my heart. They are a testament that love could endure the test of time. My parents once said that their gray hair represents all the years they have lived their livesall the struggles, perseverance, hardships, and most importantly their achievementsthats why they wouldnt want it dyedbecause it symbolizes a fully-lived life. And I believe thats true. Over the years a lot of things happena lot of thing changesbut love, though, is something that endures all things even if all the others may fail. And I always pray that one day, when all my parents hair have turned gray, I would still see them sitting side by side watching the evening news and hugging each other to sleep. It always put anyones heart at ease when they know that someone is right there beside them with each passing daya companion.


As a nurse, I believed that love could be given to strangers as well. Its when you hold their hand and tell them (and believe in yourself) that its going to be alrightthat whatever pain they may be feeling will eventually go away. Its when you tell them to eat healthy so they could be home with their family and have a meal with them. Its when you check on them every now and then to make sure theyre doing well. You know you have given love when your patient would sincerely smile at you and say thank you after your shift. Heartfelt gratitude is something you cant fake, and its something you couldnt easily give either. When you love your work, you tend to enjoy it and be better with itand most importantly, people gets to appreciate it as well. And when people appreciate it, they will remember you, and things like thatsimple thingsthat could actually make you valuable, even with the small piece of heaven given to you. Love is something that isnt easy to giveespecially to people you barely knowsbut as they say, when your glass is full it overflows.


Love is a sacrifice. We often underestimate or overestimate the extent of what we can do in the name of love. Loves prowess pushes us to go beyond our own limits, and it often takes courage to conquer our own limitations. It takes courage to sacrifice what is most precious to us for loves sake. It takes courage to love.


Love is a miracle. Love is faith. It can make you a better personit allows you to feel like a better person. It takes a miracle to change a personand love is a miracle and by loves faith it allows miracles to work in us. Some things we dont expect to feel, to do, to happen in our life. When you love, it changes your life.


Love actually is


No comments:

Post a Comment